Professor Assyr Abdulle
Director of the chair
assyr.abdulle AT epfl.ch
+41 21 693 03 11
MA C2 657
Director of the Institute of Mathematics
Director of the CSE Master
Assyr Abdulle is full Professor (“Professeur ordinaire”) of Mathematics at EPFL and holds the Chair of Computational Mathematics and Numerical Analysis (ANMC) at the Mathematics Institute of Computational Science and Engineering (MATHICSE). He obtained a professional degree in music and violin (Geneva Conservatory) in 1993 and earned his Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Geneva in 2001.
- Princeton University (Post-Doc 2001-2002)
- ETH Zurich (Research Associate 2002-2003)
- University of Basel (Assistant Professor in Mathematics 2003-2006)
- University of Edinburgh (Lecturer (2007) and Associate Professor (2008))
- SciCADE new talent prize (2005)
- Advanced Research Fellowship by the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (2007-2012)
- SIAM Wilkinson Prize in Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing (2009)
- SIAM Germund Dahlquist Prize (2013)
- Best teacher of the mathematics section (EPFL, 2015)
- Best teacher of the mathematics section (EPFL, 2016)
- Associate editor of the Journal of Multiscale Modelling (2017- )
- Associate editor of the Rendiconti del Circolo Matematico di Palermo (2017 – )
- Associate editor of the Journal Scientific Computing (2015- )
- Associate editor of the Journal of Elliptic and Parabolic Equation (2014- )
- Associate editor of ESAIM: Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Analysis (2013- )
- Associate editor of the SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing (2012- )
- Associate editor of the Journal of Computational Mathematics (2007- )
Preprints and Publications
Recent published books and book chapters
Numerical Mathematics and Advanced applications – Enumath 2013. Proceedings of ENUMATH 2013, the 10th European Conference on Numerical Mathematics and Advanced Applications, Lausanne, 26-30 August, 2013. Edited by A. Abdulle, S. Deparis, D. Kressner, F. Nobile, M. Picasso. Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, 103, Springer, 2015. XVI, 802 pp.
The heterogeneous multiscale method, Acta Numerica, A. Abdulle, W. E., B. Engquist and E. Vanden-Eijnden, 21, 2012. 1-87 pp
Random time step probabilistic methods for uncertainty quantification in chaotic and geometric numerical integration, submitted to publication, 2017.
Optimal explicit stabilized integrator of weak order one for stiff and ergodic stochastic differential equations, 2017.
FE-HMM for elastic waves in heterogeneous media, 2017.
Effective models for long time wave propagation in locally periodic media, 2017.
Numerical homogenization and model order reduction for multiscale inverse problems, 2016.
Recent published articles
On heterogeneous coupling of multiscale methods for problems with and without scale separation, in Research in the mathematical Sciences, p. 4-28, 2017.
Spectral methods for multiscale stochastic differential equations, in SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification, vol. 5, num. 1, p.720-761, 2017.
Numerical homogenization method for parabolic advection-diffusion multiscale problems with large compressible flows, submitted to Numerische Mathematik, vol. 136, num. 3, p. 603-649, 2017.
An optimization-based numerical method for diffusion problems with sign-changing coefficients, in C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, Série I, vol. 355, num. 4, p. 472-478, 2017.
Multiscale methods and model order reduction for flow problems in three-scale porous media, submitted to Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 337, p. 175-202, 2017.
A discontinuous Galerkin reduced basis numerical homogenization method for fluid flow in porous media, in Siam Journal on Scientific Computing, vol. 39, num. 1, p. A83-A113, 2017.
Localized orthogonal decomposition method for the wave equation with a continuum of scales, in Mathematics of Computation, vol. 86, p. 549-587, 2017.
Effective models for the multidimensional wave equation in heterogeneous media over long time and numerical homogenization, Mathematical Models and Mehods in Applied Sciences, vol. 26, num. 14, p. 2651-2684, 2016.
Numerical homogenization methods for parabolic monotone problems, in Springer, Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, vol. 114, p. 1-38, 2016.
Finite Element Heterogeneous Multiscale Method For Nonlinear Monotone Parabolic Homogenization Problems, in Esaim-Mathematical Modelling And Numerical Analysis-Modelisation Mathematique Et Analyse Numerique, vol. 50, num. 6, p. 1659-1697, 2016.
An Optimization Based Coupling Method For Multiscale Problems, in Multiscale Modeling & Simulation, vol. 14, num. 4, p. 1377-1416, 2016.
A reduced basis finite element heterogeneous multiscale method for Stokes flow in porous media, in Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 307, p. 1-31, 2016.
A priori error analysis of the finite element heterogeneous multiscale method for the wave equation in heterogeneous media over long time, in SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 54, num. 3, p. 1507-1534, 2016.
Error estimates for finite element approximations of nonlinear monotone elliptic problems with application to numerical homogenization, in Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations, vol. 32, num. 3, p. 955-969, 2016.
- Member of the EPFL School Basic Science direction (2017- )
- Vice chair of SWICCOMAS
- Member of the selection committee of the SIAM Wilkinson prize 2017
- Chair of the IBM-EPFL Master prize in computational science
- Member of the Scientific Committee ECCOMAS Congress 2016
- Member of the core team of the ECCOMAS Committee on Computational and Applied Mathematics
- SWICCOMAS representative
- Member of the ECCOMAS Award Committee
- Member of the “Sciences de Base” tenure committee (2011 – )
- Member of the permanent math search committee at EPFL (2010 – )
- Co-Organiser of the 2013 Enumath conference
- Director of the Master in Computational Science and Engineering at EPFL
- Workshop organizer at the International Center of Mathematical Sciences (Adaptivity, robustness and complexity of multiscale algorithms 2009, with B. Engquist and A. Stuart, Edinburgh, UK).
- SciCADE09 mini-symposium organizer: Stiff and multiscale problems (2009, with. P. Lin, Beijing, China)
- Elected member of Edinburgh Mathematical Society, (since October 2007)
- Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Computational Mathematics (since 2007)
- Member of the UK EPSRC College (since 2007)
- Member of the Strategic research Committee, School of Mathematics, Edinburgh University (2007)
- Member of the BTG (bridging the gap) group in Synthetic Biology (joint project with the Schools of Mathematics, Informatics, Engineering & Electronics, Biologicla Sciences, Physics and Chemistry, Edinburgh University (2007)
- Organiser of the Maxwell Symposium on Computational Mathematics (2007-2008)